Harvey Weinstein pleads not guilty to reinstated sexual assault charge
By Paul Vercammen and Stella Chan, CNN
Disgraced movie mogul Harvey Weinstein pleaded not guilty on Monday to a recently reinstated sexual assault charge in California.
A Los Angeles County judge last month dismissed one of 11 charges against him after his defense team argued the statute of limitations for a sexual battery charge had run out. A criminal grand jury then amended the indictment to include a May 2010 incident involving Jane Doe # 3.
During Monday morning’s hearing in a downtown Los Angeles courtroom, prosecutors revealed they were seeking to admit further evidence of alleged sexual misconduct currently under seal.
After the hearing, Weinstein’s defense attorney Mark Werksman said he wanted what he calls a tsunami of unproven bad acts by prosecutors to not be allowed to stand trial.
The producer, in a wheelchair, was dressed in a dark brown prison jumpsuit and wore glasses in court. Werksman said his client couldn’t walk or see and needed eye surgery. His next hearing date in the case is October 25.
Weinstein was convicted last year in New York of first-degree felony sex act and third-degree rape. He is serving a 23-year sentence in a maximum security prison outside of Buffalo, New York, but has been transferred to California for these hearings.
His lawyers called the sentence a de facto life sentence. His legal team appealed earlier this year, saying a biased judge and juror tainted the trial.
The hearings come nearly four years after investigative articles from the New York Times and The New Yorker exposed Weinstein’s alleged track record of sexual abuse, harassment and secret settlements as he used his influence in as a Hollywood broker to take advantage of young women.
™ & © 2021 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.
CNN’s Eric Levenson contributed to this report.