Meghan, Duchess of Sussex wins latest court battle with Mail on Sunday publisher

A UK court on Thursday dismissed an appeal by Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL) against a previous ruling that the Duchess had a reasonable expectation of privacy over a letter she sent to her father Thomas Markle in August 2018.

Meghan brought the lawsuit against ANL after the Mail on Sunday reproduced portions of the private letter.

ANL and the Mail on Sunday had previously said they were upholding the decision to release extracts from the handwritten letter and would vigorously defend the case.

The court said in a summary of the judgment Thursday that the Duchess “had a reasonable expectation of confidentiality in the contents of the letter.”

“This content was personal, private and not of legitimate public interest,” the court said. “The Mail on Sunday articles interfered with the Duchess’ reasonable expectations of privacy.”

In a statement Thursday, Meghan celebrated the judgment and expressed her hopes it would help change the UK newspaper industry. ANL also publishes the Daily Mail, Britain’s largest tabloid.

“It is a victory not only for me, but for all those who have ever been afraid to stand up for what is right,” the statement read.

“While this victory sets a precedent, what matters most is that we are now collectively brave enough to reshape a tabloid industry that conditions people to be cruel and profits from the lies and the pain they create. . “

The Duchess won her case against ANL in February when the judge ruled that “the disclosures were patently excessive and therefore illegal” and that there would “be” no chance that a different judgment will be rendered after a trial “.

However, the ANL challenged the decision and pushed for a trial.

In her statement on Thursday, Meghan criticized the publisher for prolonging the trial and “making a simple case extraordinarily convoluted in order to generate more headlines and sell more newspapers – a model that rewards the chaos overhead. the truth”.

“For almost three years since this began, I have been patient in the face of deception, intimidation and calculated attacks,” she said.

“Today the courts ruled in my favor – again – confirming that The Mail on Sunday, owned by Lord Jonathan Rothermere, broke the law.”

CNN has launched Royal News, a new weekly dispatch bringing you the secrets of the Royal Family, what they do in public and what goes on behind the palace walls. Register here.


Source link

Comments are closed.